On Monday, 1 June 2020. these two auspicious events were observed via online Satsang, being our Divine Master's 96th Sannyas Anniversary and Ganga Dussehra. Today we offer gratitude to our Divine Master, Sri Swami Sivananda for the immense Tapas that he did. Through his tremendous Tapas he was able to get all his knowledge and he passed it on to us, says Pujya Swami Sahajananda. It also paved the way for the redemption of and blossoming of countless seekers the world over.
In his pre-recorded audio message Pujya Swamiji said, "One of the tasks that was set forth by Gurudev for the Divine Life Society was the publication of literature. It could not have been an accident because that was the task that was set by him and from the very beginning of the inauguration of Divine Life Society, printing became the most important item of its work. Gurudev has said in the Gospel that the most important thing for him is the dissemination of knowledge by means of literature. You can do it by touring and you can do it by literature also. But Gurudev felt that the literature was more important because the written word was always left behind. He would say 'If I visited people's homes and went on tours, they would say 'Aye Maharaj, Aye Maharaj' and give me a cup of tea. But if I remain in my Kutir and do some writing, then that written word would go to the homes and remain there.'
Click on the link below to read our Divine Life Magazine No.123, released on the auspicious occasion of our Divine Master, Sri Swami Sivananda's 96th Sannyas Anniversary.
We are happy to report on our COVID-19 initiatives. Many tearfully expressed their feelings of gratitude for our assistance in providing nutritious grocery hampers during this period of deprivation. In all, 2500 grocery hampers and scores of fresh produce hampers were distributed to needy families. Through the Grace of our Master, and your kind support, the various organisations that we supported were able to continue with their service activities. The Sivananda King Dinuzulu Hospital Screening Centre in Sydenham, Durban, continues to render much-needed support to the community. More than 2000 cloth face masks were distributed via our grocery hamper distribution programme and to members of the public using the Sivananda Ghat during the pandemic. This is an ongoing project and masks are now being manufactured at our Sewing Centres for the public. These masks will also be distributed to schools. Our gratitude to all those who provided assistance to this programme.
As the world and South Africa try to contain and eradicate the spread of the Coronavirus pandemic, Divine Life Society of South Africa undertook the following humanitarian initiatives and made contributions to selected institutions doing sterling work during the pandemic:
1. KING DINUZULU HOSPITAL which erected the Sivananda King Dinuzulu Screening Centre for patients attending the hospital. Divine Life Society of South Africa partnered with Divine Health Forum on this initiative.
2. DISTRIBUTION OF 2500 GROCERY HAMPERS, each valued at approximately R300 to deserving families, temples, civic and Hindu organisations.
3. DOLPHIN COAST HOSPICE ASSOCIATION that provides free palliative and home- based care to terminally ill patients in the Illembe District. Food hampers were distributed by the Hospice to families.
4. ARYAN BENEVOLENT HOME (ABH) that takes care of approximately 700 indigent persons, the aged and destitute.
5. GIFT OF THE GIVERS which set up Covid - 19 testing stations across South Africa